Sunday, January 25, 2015

We Are the Prolife Generation

This past week, I traveled with close to fifty  fellow classmates of mine to Washington DC to participate in the forty second annual March For Life. We drove twelve hours through the middle of Tuesday night, and arrived around nine in the morning to a snow speckled and frigid aired capital.

1/21/15
We begin our journey at the Holocaust Museum. I feel my insides tighten as I step into an elevator with my fellow classmates. A small television screen begins to play an introduction video giving us glimpses of the horrors we are about to see inside the museum when the elevator reaches the top. As the elevator doors part, we step out into a dimly lit room followed by several hallways. Walls are lined with black and white photographs and historical objects that depict the endless terrors that came as a result of the Third Reich.
As I walk through the museum, I read facts about events, years, and statistics about death and torture. As I round a corner, my nose is suddenly filled with a musty, old, and burnt smell; I have walked into a hallway lined with thousands of shoes. They lie in blackened heaps paired with a quote from Edward R. Murrow saying, "One shoe, two shoes, a dozen shoes, yes. But how can you describe several thousand shoes?" I see before me 4,000 shoes that had been discovered by Soviet troops during the liberation of the camps Auschwitz and Majdanek. The shoes were confiscated, along with eyeglasses, clothing, hair and toothbrushes in the killing centers of the camps from the victims. They were found in massive mounds with few prisoners who were still living. I cannot ignore the smell radiating from the shoes. It has been several decades, and the aroma is still potent enough to haunt my senses.
I walk into another room to find a white model of the Auschwitz crematorium; a four chambered construction disguised as shower rooms where the victims were put to death by gas. This method of killing was used to reduce more than 1,000 victims to ashes a day. My stomach churns as my eyes soak up a glimpse of this terror. naked figures of women, men, and children are before me standing below shower heads. I imagine the screams escaping the open mouths of those whom the figures are representing, only to be ignored.
All throughout the museum are signs telling visitors that these terrors can never happen again.

1/22/15
I am in the middle of the March for Life now. I am walking alongside hundreds of thousands of men and women proclaiming the right to life. Many people hold signs and banners that state phrases such as, "We Are the Prolife Generation", "Every Life Matters", and "Life Counts". We are marching, because we refuse to ignore the unheard voices of the third of our generation we have already lost to abortion. I find myself comparing these voices to the ones depicted by the Holocaust museum yesterday. These victims were ignored decades ago, and now we proclaim the voices through writings exhibits, and teachings. Why are we ignoring the innocent voices of the unborn now?
We continue to walk, and eventually approach a large screen set up in the street displaying gruesome images of clearly alive and developing children being extracted from their mother's wombs during abortions. I feel sick. I feel like my heart is being punched repeatedly and relentlessly. It is as though my heart does not have enough time to bleed before the next blow is delivered. The images of death are endless. I think back to the hallway of shoes; the smell is seared into my memory. The images of the children are also burned into my brain. I think to myself, How can we ignore obvious life? 
I turn to one of my girlfriends after the march is over and say, "Can you imagine what will happen when they finally outlaw abortion?"
"Yeah, and we look at abortion like we look at the Holocaust now?"
"Yeah! I wonder if there will be an abortion museum one day schools will visit."
I find myself thinking about the words "Never Again" plastered all over the Holocaust Museum. Will these words be written about abortion one day? Will the sickness one day be discovered just like the terrors of the Nazi party were?
We march, because remaining quiet results in the loss of innocence. We cannot ignore what has happened to over a third of our generation. Mindless killing. We need to start proclaiming "Never Again!" to preserve the hearts and souls not only of the unborn children, but of their mothers and fathers as well. Abortion is the crematoria, and it is time to put out the fire.

I would like to dedicate this blog to my brothers and sisters who have been lost to abortion. I would also like to dedicate this post to the mothers and fathers impacted by abortion. Let your hearts be opened and cleansed of this tragedy.

"Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want."
-Mother Teresa

Here are the pictures we need to see of children and mothers; where they are glorified.

2 comments:

  1. We march, because remaining quiet results in the loss of innocence. This is a great line. I think that abortion has also caused a death blow to family life in this country. We don't require men to be fathers or women to be mothers. There is no pitter patter of little feet to remind us that we have a reason to get up in the morning, a reason to work and love, and seek God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame that many ears will choose to never hear that noise too.

      Delete