Monday, February 9, 2015

"It Is Finished" Poem

Throughout this spring semester, my World Literature class has focused a lot of our readings on poems that carry Biblical or religious themes within them. These readings include "Death Be Not Proud", "The Dream of the Rood", "Easter Wings" etc. I wrote a religious poem a little over a month ago, and by studying these famous poems, I have become inspired to share it with you all.

This poem was inspired by a painting of Christ, artfully depicted by child prodigy artist known as Akiane Kramarik. This girl is absolutely beautiful, and her paintings are beyond alluring. I have shared a photo of the painting I chose to write about. Akiane painted this at the young age of nine.
I hope you all enjoy her painting, and my poem about it.
“It Is Finished ”
Hands calloused
I reach to you Father.
To hold
my children above the writhing earth.
To hoist
myself with all creations upon a rood.
I look through the abyss
which causes them to blunder.
I feel blood spill from my pores.
They sleep while I stand in this garden voicing desperate pleas.
I beg for strength.
Veins bulge on the backs of my hands
as I raise them to gates of pure pearl.
I do not condemn
the whips they lash across my back.
The keys of sin
and death under my control.
These leeches and parasites of sin can no longer sidle within their souls, because
I say to you Father
your will has been fulfilled. 

2 comments:

  1. And you posted it during the Divine Mercy hour. Very moving poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's time to start thinking about Lent, and this poem might give inspiration

      Delete