Monday, January 12, 2015

What Was Your Favorite Thing to Imagine as a Child?

As a child, my favorite thing to imagine was myself dancing onstage. I can remember wanting more than anything to be on Radio City in New York with the Rockettes. I used to flip through the pages of  "Young Dancer" magazines and think to myself how happy they all seemed in their perfect kick line. I wanted to be one of those girls. My sister Katie and I actually composed an entire lifestyle plan for when we became professional dancers; we had a highly healthy meal plan, a budget drawn out, and the type of apartment that would best fit the needs of two aspiring dancers. I wish I still had the little spiral notebook in which we had written all of this down. I am sure a budget in the minds of an eight and a ten year old was not realistically sustainable.
There was one day during our elaborate planning when I said to Katie,
"Since desserts are expensive usually, let's limit ourselves to one dessert a week." I had based this logic off of going out to eat with my parents, and being rejected for my request for dessert in order to "save money".
Katie responded with logic of her own saying, "Um, I'm not having only one dessert a week. I can afford to have more than one dessert a week."
Obviously our priorities were straight.
But we wanted it! As children, people seemed to be much more passionate about what they wanted to become when they grew up.
My family and I used to listen to a lot of music by the band "Third Day", and I used to wish that their lead singer would somehow find out about Katie and I dancing. In my fantasies, he would ask us to perform in concert with their band as their dancers. Christian bands do not typically have dancers. In reality, usually the only artists that would perform with dancers were hip hop or pop artists. For some reason in my mind at the time, I thought ballet flowed beautifully with the music of "Third Day".
To me, dancing was a creative way of working. I loved picturing myself in high-heeled tap shoes and a short frilly red skirt with golden threading. I would envision my arms linked with those of beautiful women, kicking my legs in unison with them.
I stopped dancing after beginning high school. I became more involved in school athletics such as swimming, cross country, track, and cheer leading. It is funny how something that used to consume hours of my time, physical labor, and thoughts is hardly more than a hobby to me now. Dancing is no longer the most dominant aspect of my life, but it did teach me skills and characteristics that I try to carry on today; grace, patience, humility, discipline coordination, rhythm, poise, and passion. Although Katie and I have very different plans for our futures now in comparison to those of the afternoons we convinced ourselves we would perform dance on a professional level,  I still enjoy entertaining my imagination through dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment