Saturday, March 14, 2015

"You Shall Not Covet Your Neighbors Goods": Humility and Renouncing Avarice

There was once a time in my life that I wanted to have blonde hair more than anything. I would look with envy upon my sister Katie's soft, thick, and honey flowing light blonde locks. The sun appeared to reflect right off of her head. Beautiful to look at, and to touch. When my mother would curl our hair before mass on Sundays, her hair seemed more bouncy than my own. I even used to grow green when my father would sing "Sister Golden Hair Surprise" to her.
"Why can't there be a sister brunette hair surprise?" I would think to myself.
Brown hair even sounded awkward to me.
I used to play with all the blonde Barbie dolls, and stick Katie with the brunettes. She did not mind though, because it turns out that she used to desire my chocolate textured hair. She said it seemed smooth and calming.
We all want things simply because we do not have them.
Last Sunday, my church priest spoke about an observance made between three babies all in the same room. He explained that if a person were to place a toy between the three infants, then there would be no attention paid towards the toy until one of the infants picked it up. Suddenly the other two have to play with the toy clutched in the first baby's hands.
We often covet what we do not have, not because we necessarily want those things, but rather because another person has them. It is hard to remind ourselves that many things or characteristics that we ourselves hold may also be sought after by another. It is also difficult to remind ourselves to be humble with what we do have. Perhaps it is also imperative to encourage one's neighbor to refrain from the act of coveting by keeping things more personally cherished instead of divulging them publicly. After all, a gentleman does not speak of himself unless he is first prompted by another to do so. To me, being humble with one's own goods is as equally fundamental to a person's soul as forgoing jealous and avaricious thoughts.
I chose to use my sister and I as an example with our youthful hair desires to show that covetous feelings can be rooted within the most seemingly insignificant cases. Now granted my sister was not at fault for my silly childhood jealousy. She by no means flaunted her hair around, but by us emphasizing to each other our own beauty, we subconsciously assisted one another in appreciating what we have.
I encourage people to refrain from desires solely for the purpose of personal gain. Celebrate small things, and do not hold back in congratulating others. Over time our gifts will begin to flourish and multiply, but we must first give thanks for our small blessings; like chocolate smooth hair.
If you are struggling with jealousy of another or keeping a mortified heart, look to the commandments: "You shall not covet your neighbor's goods."
^^Honey golden, and chocolate brown <3

No comments:

Post a Comment