Sunday, December 28, 2014

Post Holiday Funk

Those who know me personally know that I have an autistic older brother. My parent's first born out of six. Those who know Paul are aware that he excels significantly in certain areas such as running. Paul's communication skills however are obviously less developed than most twenty four year old guys.
Many of you are probably experiencing a post holiday letdown; a period of time after all the presents have been opened, cookies and gingerbread houses have been eaten, and pine needles are beginning to pile up below your trees. Christmas came and went just like any other day. Quick. There is only a twenty four hour window for December 25, just like there is for May 21st, November 22nd, or April 5th. Naturally we all desire a longer Christmas. Why would we not? We have all this time we spend preparing for a blip in our year, then we have to get back to our daily routines. Of course we become sad after Christmas experiences and memories come to an end. For my autistic brother, this is a bit more extreme for him, and the decline in excitement is harder to cope with.
My mom has told me before that there had been one Christmas where Paul did not speak a word for the three days following. Mom has recalled the memory in her own writing, and entitled it "The Three Days of Silence." How terrifying for my parents. I honestly think that silence would be much more difficult to witness than a tantrum. My parents, at the time, must have been lost on what they would do if Paul had never spoken again. On the third day however, Paul came back to life; he looked at my parents instead of past them.
I watched Paul this past Christmas morning as a twenty four year old, just as excited for Christmas as ever. He woke up at four in the morning, and began to tear at the corners of his presents trying to peer at what was contained inside. He flapped his hands against his knees with anticipation, while waiting for my parents to emerge from their room. Paul had all of his presents opened and carried to his room before I had consumed my morning coffee. Afterwards, he immediately slipped on his new running pants, and went on a nine mile long run; Paul's way of acknowledging that there is life after Christmas.
I think it's so funny how upset we allow ourselves to become after the tree has nothing left underneath it. Although Paul's social skills are viewed as less than adequate, he is highly intelligent, and I saw this through his behavior Thursday morning.
I would like to encourage those reading this to look to Paul as an example. Avoid the three days of silence and post holiday funk. Our hearts should be re-nourished during this time following Christmas. We should feel on fire with excitement for this coming year. Do not dwell on the fact that Christmas time is closing, but find your own way to keep your spirits high for the next twelve months to come. One thing I have learned is that time keeps passing whether we chose to enjoy it or not. Though your holiday pick-me-up may not be a nine mile run like Paul's, he definitely has the right idea.
Merry Christmas,
D

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Danika for a beautiful story. I enjoyed reading this to Justin and Steve tonight. This story made us realize that the post-Christmas funk can be viewed as a new start instead of a "my kids are leaving again" sadness on our part. Paul is a wonderful amazing young man and he has a fab sister!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Kelli! My mom is going through the same thing you are right now with all of my siblings and I going back to college and work. Thank You for reading my blog! Much love to you and your family

      Delete
  2. I agree, Danika. You are fabulous. I guess that's what Dickens meant by keeping Christmas all year round rather than just one day a year. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You momma. Christmas really does pave the way for the rest of the year

      Delete